How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude of SSC CPO SI recruitmentVinay Kumar | May 29, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last date of online application for the post of Sub Inspector in Delhi Police, CAPFs and Assistant Sub-Inspectors in CISF is over now and online exam for paper I will commence from 30th June, 2017. So if you want to secure your position as an Officer in Central Police then you should start preparing today as you have to compete with lacs of students for 2221 vacancies across all positions (for both male and female). Get detailed exam notification here. As you are left with a handful of time for Paper I of SSC SI, so your preparation for should be in a well planned manner so that you can complete your study and save some time for taking practice tests. In the subsequent sections you will get a detailed study plan for SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude which covers below topics:
- SSC CPO Exam Pattern and expected cutoff
- Trend Analysis
- Important Topics for Quantitative Aptitude Section
- Exam Strategy
- Points to keep in mind
SSC CPO Exam pattern and Expected Cut off:
Note that there will be just 1 exam, which will be common for recruitment to all the posts mentioned above. Let us now take a look at the exam pattern.
S.No. Subject / Section No. of Questions Max. Marks Test Duration 1 General Intelligence and Reasoning 50 50 2 hours 2 General Knowledge and General Awareness 50 50 3 Quantitative Aptitude 50 50 4 English Comprehension 50 50 Total 200 200
There is penalty of 0.25 marks for each incorrect answer. Expected Category-wise overall cut off for SSC CPO SI Male and Female candidates are as follows:
Category Cut Off 2016 Expected Cut Off Male Female Male Female General 89.75 83.5 90 85 OBC 77 69.5 80 72 SC 67.75 60.25 70 65 ST 67.25 58.25 70 65
Due to Consolidate timing and no sectional cut off it is must for candidates to prepare a well planned exam strategy which will guide you throughout your journey for paper I of SSC SI CPO 2017. In subsequent sections you will get trend analysis and more.
Trend Analysis for SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude
First step for preparation is to find out the expected number of qu
estions from different topics of SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude test based on the previous year papers. We have prepared a trend analysis chart based on analysis of last year papers of SSC CPO Paper I, 2016.
Unit Topic 2016 Expected Data Interpretation Bar Graph/ Pie Graph 10 10 Ratios & Percentage Simple and Compound Interest 2 9 Discounts, Profit & Loss 4 Mixtures and Partnership 3 Algebra Formulas from algebra 3 7 Formulating and Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations 4 Numerical Aptitude Averages, Factors & Multiples 3 5 VBODMAS, Round off and approximations, Laws of exponents 3 Geometry Circles, Triangles and Rectangles 3 5 Lines, Angles and Polygons 2 Trigonometry Height & Distance 2 5 Solving Equations 2 Measurement & Rates Pipes & Cisterns 3 5 Problems on Time, Distance & Speed and Trains Work and Ages 2 Mensuration Problems based on 2D and 3D mensuration 4 4 Total 50 50
This table gives an idea of different topics asked from various units in SSC CPO Paper I Quantitative Aptitude section, based on the SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude syllabus. We expect the same trend will hold for SSC CPO 2017 Paper I.
Exam Strategy for SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude
Solving quantitative aptitude problems takes a little more time than questions from other 3 sections and if you are able to get accurate results then it can be your scoring subject.
- Time limits: You are given total 120 minutes to solve complete test consisting of 200 questions which gives you 36 seconds per question. However, you should aim for a total of 40 minutes to spend on this SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude section.
- First Target: Assign 40 minutes for Quantitative aptitude section and set your first target to solve 24 questions with 100% accuracy. Then you will be able get about 24 marks from this section.
- Second Target: Once you are able to achieve the above, you should start focussing on studying other chapters and also on increasing your speed. Ideally, you should be able to attempt about 30 – 32 questions with 90% accuracy in 25 minutes. This will give you a good score of about 27 marks. Once you have achieved this too, then go for more and try to attempt 35 questions in 35 minutes with 90% accuracy. However, you will need to decide if you wish to continue spending time on this section, or some other.
- It is suggested before you start, you should take mock papers of SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude section for I so that you can easily point out the topics in which you need to work harder.
Study plan and Important Topics for SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude
To complete the syllabus, follow the given detailed study plan which gives you an idea about types of questions asked from various topics from Quantitative Aptitude syllabus of SSC CPO Paper I. Chapters in the below study plan are ordered on the basis of increasing complexity. If you study Chapters numbered 1 to 3, you will be able to solve 24 questions which completes your first target.
S. No Chapter Topics Remarks 1 Numerical Aptitude(Expected Questions: 5) Operations on Integers, Decimals and Fractions 1. Required in almost all Arithmetic problems so master your calculations first.2. Also learn squares and cubes of first 20 natural numbers to speed-up the calculations. VBODMAS, Laws of exponents and Round off & approximations 1. Problems based on the order of operations in which they are carried out. 2. An expression containing numbers and operators between them is given. 3. Use of VBODMAS rule to find the missing value or to calculate result of the expression.
4. Sometimes it is also asked to take approximate values for calculations (e.g. 3.89 ≈ 4).
Averages 1. Averages is another type which can be used in solving questions from some other chapters as well. 2. You need to understand the concept of averages and how it changes when some terms are Added or Excluded. 2 Ratios & Percentage(Expected Questions: 9, Requires basic calculation, based on that questions are asked in Data Interpretation) Percentage 1. The concept of percentage is the most important topic from this chapter. 2. They are used in questions from across other chapters as well and also a high number of questions can be expected from its applications such as Discount, Profit & Loss, and Simple and Compound Interest. Compound and Simple Interest Profit & Loss, Discounts Ratios and Proportions 1.Problems on Partnership and Mixtures are based on the application of Ratio and Proportions.2. You need to formulate equations for problems on Partnership while for problems based on mixtures can be solved with the use of allegation rules. Partnership and Mixtures 3 Data Interpretation (Expected Questions: 10) Pie and Bar Graphs 1. Problems from Data Interpretation consists of a graph, based on which there are certain questions that need to be answered.2. The questions may ask to calculate Average, Percentage, Ratios or any other operations to find the solution. 4 Algebra (Expected Number of questions: 7) Formulating and Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations 1. There can be a direct equation (Linear or Quadratic) is given or you need to formulate on based on the given problems. 2. It can be used to solve various other problems like work, speed, mensuration, Problems on ages etc. Formulas 1. Problems containing expressions are given, which are solved using algebraic formulas. 2. Learn the basic formulas for solving squares and cubes of 2 variables. 5 Measurement & Rates(Expected Questions: 5) Boats & Streams 1. Some general questions based on time, distance and speed, Boats & Streams are asked.2. Sometimes they also require conversions among the units (Speed from KM/h to M/Sec).3. Formulate and solve an equation to solve the problem. Trains Problems on Ages and Work 1. Questions are based on Work done and Ages.2. To solve them you need to formulate and solve linear equations. 6 Mensuration(Expected Questions: 4) 2 D Mensuration Based on area, perimeter and diagonal of rectangle, Triangle, circle and square. 3 D Mensuration Question from Concepts of Volume and surface area and their units (and conversion from one unit to another) for Cube, Cuboid, Sphere and Cylinder figure in the exam. 7 Geometry(Expected Number of questions: 5) Circles, Triangles and Rectangles
- Problems are based on properties of various Geometrical figures.
- Problems also include calculations of angles between lines and sides of polygons.
Lines, Angles and Polygons 8 Trigonometry(Expected Questions: 5) Height & Distance 1. Problems based on height and distance of triangle are given.2. To measure height and distance of different objects, trigonometric ratios are used. Solving Equations 1. An expression containing trigonometric ratios are given and you need to solve the equations. 2. Learn the basic trigonometric formulas and ratios.
Above study plan is based on trend analysis of previous years papers of SSC CPO Paper I. You should refer detailed study materials for SSC CPO Quantitative Aptitude section of SSC CPO Paper I. Also take online mock tests for SSC CPO Paper I for practice and to assess the areas in which you need to prepare harder.
Points to Keep in Mind
- You should fix 40 minutes duration for entire section of Quantitative Aptitude.
- Maintain your speed and accuracy while attempting questions from this section also try to attempt questions from a similar chapter together. Only attempt questions related to topics you have studied well.
- As there is also negative marking so select the questions carefully and don’t waste too much time in a question.
- The above detailed study plan is designed to give you a clear idea of the topics so that you can complete the syllabus at the earliest and utilize remaining time to take some full length and subject wise mock tests for SSC CPO Paper I.
- Also put your best efforts in preparing English Comprehension, General Intelligence & Reasoning and General Awareness sections.
For taking online mock test now, logon to www.eclonline.com where you will also get free study materials for all the subjects and throughout Performance analysis which will help you to achieve your target.
There are preparation guides to other subjects of SSC CPO exam. These can be viewed from links below:
- SSC CPO exam 2017 Paper 1 preparation for English Comprehension
- SSC CPO exam 2017 Paper 1 preparation for Reasoning Ability
- SSC CPO exam 2017 Paper 1 preparation for General Awareness
IBPS PO Recruitment 2017 | Application and Preparation tips
Tips to choose State and Bank Preference in IBPS RRB 2017
आईबीपीएस आरआरबी ऑफिस असिस्टेंट भर्ती 2017
IBPS RRB recruitment 2017
एसएससी सीजीएल अँग्रेज़ी की तैयारी कैसें करें - परीक्षा पैटर्न, कट ऑफ, प्रचलन विश्लेषण, महत्वपूर्ण अध्याय, परीक्षा रणनीति और अध्ययन योजना