How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude section of SBI PO PrelimsVinay Kumar | March 6, 2017 at 3:43 pm
The last date of Online applications for 2313 posts for Probationary Officer in State Bank Of India (SBI)is over now, it is the time when you should start working hard to clear SBI PO prelims which will take place from the last week of April till first week of May, 2017. Your focus should be to study each of the 3 subjects with equal attention as there are both sectional and overall cut off. Based on the analysis of previous year papers, we have prepared below study plan for preparation of Quantitative Aptitude for SBI PO Prelims 2017. This includes:
- SBI PO 2017 Exam pattern and Expected Cut off
- Trend Analysis
- Important Topics for Quantitative Aptitude section
- Exam Strategy
- Points to Keep in Mind
SBI PO 2017 Exam Pattern and Expected Cut off:
SBI PO 2017 will be an online objective test consisting of 3 Subjects mentioned below-
- 1 mark for a correct answer while there is penalty of 1/4th marks for an incorrect answer.
Number of questions and cut off from each section is discussed below:
S no Subject No. of Questions(Total: 100) Expected Sectional Cut Off Duration General Category Reserved Categories 1 Reasoning Ability 35 7 4.25 Consolidate time of 1 hour 2 Quantitative Aptitude 35 7.25 4.25 3 English Language 30 8.75 6
- SBI PO expected overall category-wise cut off is given below.
Category SC ST OBC GEN OH VH HI Overall Cut off 38.75 29.25 44.50 47.50 36 37 15.50
You must have a good command over the subject along with a well planned time management strategy so that you can attempt more questions to clear both the cut off for SBI PO prelims exam. In the next section, you will get trend analysis of questions from Quantitative Aptitude section in previous year papers of SBI PO Prelims.
We have prepared below table of chapters/topics which shows number of questions asked from each chapter/ topic of Quantitative Aptitude section of SBI PO Prelims 2016. Based on that, you will also get expected number of questions for 2017 SBI PO Preliminary exam.
Chapter Topic 2016 Expected Numerical Aptitude 10 Round off or Approximations, Laws of exponents and VBODMAS 5 10 Complete the Series, Missing Number 5 Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning 10 Pie and Bar Graph 5 10 Table 5 Algebra 7 Formulating equations 1 6 Probability 1 Quadratic Equations 5 Ratios & Percentage 4 Simple and Compound Interest 1 4 Profit & Loss and Discounts 1 Mixtures 1 Partnerships 1 Measurement & Rates 3 Time, Distance & Speed, Pipes & Cisterns and Boats & Streams, Trains 1 4 Ages 1 Work 1 Mensuration 1 2D 1 1 3D — Total 35 35
Important Topics for Quantitative Aptitude section of SBI PO Prleims
Based on this trend analysis, below is the detailed list of important chapters which are ordered in the increasing order of difficulty so that you can start learning these in the same order to get maximum outcome in the least time.
S. No Unit Topics Remarks 1 Numerical Aptitude(Expected Questions: 10 which is sufficient to clear the cut off) Operations on Integers, Decimals and Fractions 1. Required in almost all Quantitative Aptitude problems so master your calculations first.2. Also learn squares and cubes of first 20 natural numbers to speed-up the calculations. VBODMAS, Laws of exponents and Round off & approximations 1. Problems based on the order of operations in which they are carried out. 2. An expression containing numbers and operators between them is given.
3. Follow the VBODMAS rule to find the missing value or to calculate result of the expression.
4. Sometimes it is also asked to take approximate (or round off) values for calculations (e.g. 7.87 ≈ 8).
Series 1. A series of number is given. You are asked to find the next, missing or wrong term in the series. 2. For solving this you just need to trace the pattern between each pair of given terms. 2 Ratios & Percentage(Expected Questions: 4, Requires basic calculation, based on that questions are asked in Data Interpretation Percentage 1. The concept of percentage is the most important topic from this chapter. 2. They are used in questions from across other chapters as well and also a high number of questions can be expected from its applications such as Discount, Profit & Loss, and Simple and Compound Interest. Compound and Simple Interest Profit & Loss, Discounts Ratios and Proportions 1.Problems on Partnership and Mixtures are based on the application of Ratio and Proportions.2. You need to formulate equations for problems on Partnership while for problems based on mixtures can be solved with the use of allegation rules. Partnership and Mixtures 3 Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning(Expected Questions: 10 which is sufficient to clear the cut off) Table and Caselets
- Problems from Data Interpretation consists of a table or graph based on which there are certain questions that need to be answered.
- The questions may ask to calculate Average, Percentage, Ratios or any other operations to find the solution. Thus learning
Line, Pie, Bar Graphs 4 Algebra (Expected questions: 6) Formulating and Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations 1. There can be a direct equation (Linear or Quadratic) is given or you need to formulate on based on the given problems. 2. It can be used to solve various other problems like work, speed, mensuration, Problems on ages etc. Probabilityand Arrangement & Selection 1. Based on the given problem, you need to find number of ways in which given data can be arranged or selected or probability of occurrence of any event.2. Calculation of factorials is an important concept to solve these type of problems. 5 Measurement & Rates(Expected Questions: 4) Boats & Streams 1. Some general questions based on time, distance and speed, Boats & Streams are asked.2. Sometimes they also require conversions among the units (Speed from KM/h to M/Sec).
3. Formulate and solve equation for the problem.
Trains Problems on Ages and Work
- Questions are based on Work done and a Ages.
- To solve them you need to formulate and solve linear equations.
6 Mensuration(Expected Questions: 1) 2 D Mensuration Based on area, perimeter and diagonals of rectangle, Triangle, Circle and square 3 D Mensuration Question from Concepts of Volume and surface area and their units (and conversion from one unit to another) for Cube, Cuboid and Cylinder figure in the exam.
You can also get detailed Free study materials for Reasoning Ability section of SBI PO for all the important topics mentioned above. In the subsequent section, we have discussed an exam strategy to clear the cut off for SBI PO Prelims 2017.
SBI PO Prelims Exam Strategy
As the SBI PO Prelims Syllabus for Quantitative Aptitude is vast and you are not left with much time so in order to help you out, below is the well-planned exam strategy which will help you to master time management skill so that you can clear the cut off with a good score.
- Set your time limits: As there is consolidate time so, you need to set about 25 minutes for quantitative aptitude section. This time limit gives you about 42 seconds per question for this section.
- First Target: Your first is to clear the cut off from this section. For this quickly navigate through the complete quantitative aptitude section and find 10 questions form the topics of your area of excellence and attempt them with not less than 90% accuracy taking 1 minute per question. Thus you will be able to clear the cut off for this section. We suggest you to choose 10 questions from the topics numbered S.No. 1 and 2 from above table.
- Second Target: Your second target should be to stand a good score which contributes to your overall cut off marks. For this find 10 more questions based on the difficulty level and solve them in the 15 minutes (or remaining time after Ist target). Here you can aspire for 80% accuracy which will give you about 16.25 marks from the complete section. For this we suggest you to attempt questions from S.No. 3 and 4.
Points to Keep in Mind
One must have faster and accurate calculations while attempting questions from Quantitative Aptitude section which is possible through practice of several mock tests. If you are serious about your career as a Probationary Officer in SBI then after completing the syllabus, it is must that you take mock tests several times which will help you to revise the previously learned concepts and understand the type of questions asked in SBI PO Preliminary exam.
As mentioned above, there are both sectional and overall cut off so, prepare other two subjects with equal attention. If you think you are lacking in one of the subjects then first take subject-wise mock tests then go for full-length mock tests for SBI PO prelims 2017.
For taking a test now logon to www.eclonline.com where you will get study materials, latest exam notification and SBI PO Mock Test in Hindi and English both langage with throughout performance analysis.
Also read important topics and study plan for Reasoning Ability and English Language section of SBI PO prelims 2017.
All the Best!